So I've finished out this edition with 110 prints. This was mostly a reduction cut with a printed wood sky that was an attempt to get the woodgrain to mimic the northern lights. Overall, I am pleased. As is the norm, I've got some changes I'll make during my next print, but those are related more to pressure on the press and registration more than anything else. This print turned out well and was a good test for a much larger one coming soon - The Cliffs of Moher.
Just a better shot of the Northern Lights via wood grain. The look is fine, but it required more pressure on the press than I wanted. Because of that the ink layering is more noticeable in the rectangular shape of the sky. It's not the end of the world, but it's something I'd change in my next print.
The second layer is the first layer of the reduction portion of this print. This layer will be the underpinning color for the trees as well as the snow and foreground.
Today I've done a color test print for the winter night sky. I was hoping for an Aurora Borealis effect with the wood grain, which I do get, but it's very subtle. I'll try for some damper paper and see what happens.
Three hours later and we have a stack of hand-torn paper ready to print.
Quick process shot of the spruces carved away. I'll leave the snowy foreground for now since I'll be treating the rest of this block as a reduction print.
I stain my lino with a diluted wash of red ink before carving the fine lines. This helps me visual where I'm going and where I've been in the carving process.
Quick removal of the large areas before staining up the block in prep for the details.
Spruces have been transferred and embellished upon, now time to get carving!
Quick sketch for this year's Christmas card. I want to focus on a more natural scene, large print, and the them of "The Star's Were Brightly Shining" taken from the song O Holy Night, which has a lot of sentimental value to me.
Comments will be approved before showing up.